Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers2017-09-30
- Yield : 4
- Servings : 4 - 5
- Prep Time : 40m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers is a meatless version of Italian Stuffed Peppers. You can use any size or color bell pepper for this recipe. One-half large stuffed bell pepper can be a meal in its self providing about 12 ounces of food, 11 grams of protein, and only 290 calories.
This recipe and preparation are similar to stuffed zucchini and eggplant but requires less preparation time since precooking the peppers is not necessary.
The estimated preparation time includes cooking brown rice that can take 40 minutes or more. Reduce prep time to about 20 minutes when using white rice.
The nutrition information is for one-half large 12 ounce serving as shown in the photo.
- For a strict vegetarian stuffed peppers omit the cheese and eggs. Eggs act as a binder. Stuffing made without eggs will be looser.
- Green bell pepper are immature red or yellow peppers and may require longer baking time.
Increase fiber and protein by substitute 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa or other whole grain for the rice.
- 2 large (450 g) bell peppers (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white or brown rice
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 8 oz. (225 g) fresh mushrooms, cleaned & chopped
- 1 -2 (100 g) carrots, shredded or chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh parsley chopped or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh basil chopped or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) capers, rinsed (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.625 ml) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 slices (50 g) bread or 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water or broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine (optional)
- 14 oz. (411 g) reduced or low sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Method of Preparation
Cook rice per package directions.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Wash and dry peppers. Cut peppers in half length wise, and remove stem, seeds and white membrane. Arrange peppers in a large baking dish.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are soften, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil, capers, and diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Remove skillet from heat.
When using sliced bread, soak in water or wine and squeeze out any excess liquid. Stir in bread, or fresh bread crumbs, eggs, water and cooked rice. Add more water or wine if stuffing appears dry. Stuff peppers with filling. Pour wine over peppers, sprinkle with cheese. Cover baking dish with cover or aluminum foil.
Bake 45 minutes or until peppers are soft. To brown the tops, remove cover during the final 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 15 minutes and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat70
Serving Size:About 12.5 oz (360 g)