Italian Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe2012-10-11
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 40m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
A whole or half stuffed bell pepper can be a meal in its self.
You can prepare this Italian Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe with meat or without meat for a vegetarian version. This recipe and preparation are similar to stuffed zucchini and eggplant but requires less preparation time since you do not have to precook the peppers.
Estimated preparation time includes cooking brown rice that can take 40 minutes or more. Reduce prep time to about 20 minutes when using white rice.
The nutrition information is for a large 12 ounce serving as shown in the photo.
Tomato ketchup can be drizzled over each pepper instead of tomato sauce and the broth added to the baking dish.
- 2 large (600 g) peppers or 4 small peppers
- 1/2 cup (110 g) uncooked brown or white long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 8 oz. (225 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 (150 g) large onion, diced
- 1 carrot (80 g), shredded (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) capers coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. (0.62 ml) fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. (0.62 ml) crushed red pepper or to taste
- 2 slices (50 g) Italian or French bread
- 8 oz. (227 g) can low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) low sodium chicken broth, white wine or water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Romano or Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
Method of Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°F (190ºC). Cook rice per package directions.
Meanwhile, rinse and dry peppers. Cut large peppers in half or remove the top of small peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Arrange in a deep baking dish.
Heat oil on medium high and saute the ground beef breaking it up using the back of a large spoon until mostly browned. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until carrots and onions are tender.
Soak the bread in water, wine, or broth and squeeze out any excess. Reserve the wine or broth for Step 6. Add the bread, garlic, parsley, basil, capers, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Turn off heat or remove skillet from heat.
Add eggs, rice and cheese to the meat mixture and stir to thoroughly combine.
Stuff the peppers lightly packing the filling. Combine the broth and water with the tomato sauce and pour over the peppers. Sprinkle with cheese.
Cover baking dish with lid or aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove cover during the last 10 to 15 minutes to brown the tops if desired.
Cool 10 minutes and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat111
Serving Size1 whole small or 1/2 large pepper