Spicy White Bean and Chicken Chili2014-10-13
- Yield : About 6 cups
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 2:0 h
- Ready In : 2:20 h
Spicy White Bean and Chicken Chili is a simple, delicious, and nutritious recipe high in fiber and protein, low in saturated fat, and healthier alternative to red meat chilis.
As with any chili recipe, adjust the heat level to taste by using hotter or milder green or red chili peppers. Canned chilies can be substituted for roasted chills.
Omit the chicken for a vegetarian chili.
Beans are an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 8 oz. (225 g) dry navy or great northern beans
- 1 (150 g) small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 (110 g) small tomato, diced
- 2 oz. (56 g) roasted Hatch chilies or 4 oz. (113 g) canned green chiles, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ( 5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 3 cups (720 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. (450 g) raw chicken breast cubed, or 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 oz. (56 g) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh Italian parsley or cilantro, minced
Method of Preparation
Sort and rinse beans. Place beans in a medium bowl or sauce pan and cover with at least 2 inches of water. Soak beans over night. Change water 1 or 2 tines if desired to reduce gas producing compounds.
Heat oil in a 3 qt/l sauce pan over medium heat and sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add tomato, chilies, garlic, cumin and oregano. Cook 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly to prevent burning. Drain beans and add to pan along with the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 1.5 to 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and peppers to taste.
Stir in raw chicken 10-15 minutes before end of cooking time. Add cooked chicken 10 minutes before end of cooking time. Increase heat to medium if necessary to maintain a slow boil.
Add cheese, stirring constantly, until completely melted. Turn off the heat, and stir in parsley or cilantro and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat90
Serving Size:11 oz. (320g)