- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
Shrimp Creole is a popular southeastern United States recipe, originating in Louisiana.
You can serve Shrimp Creole with or without rice.
For variety substitute other seafood like scallops, crab, or fish for the shrimp.
Mild or Hot
Creole food can be very hot (spicy), but you can control the amount of heat to your taste by reducing the amount of black, white, and cayenne pepper.
Cayenne pepper heat can vary widely between brands. For consistency stick with one brand. Changing brands or buying bulk cayenne pepper may require some experimenting to obtain the desired heat level.
You can always add more cayenne pepper to turn up the heat. If you find your Shrimp Creole is too hot for your taste, you can reduce the heat level by adding more tomato sauce and broth.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 1 medium to large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks (ribs) celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) butter or 1 T olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) hot sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz. (411 g) can diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes diced
- 8 oz. (221 g) can low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup (220 g) uncooked converted or parboiled rice
- 1 lb. (450 g) medium shrimp (raw or cooked)
- 1 fresh or dry bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried basil or 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh basil
Method of Preparation
Combine seasoning in a small bowl.
In a 5 to 6 qt/L pot or Dutch Oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until golden but not burned.
Add the celery, bell pepper, and butter. Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, and scrapping the pot bottom if necessary.
Add the seasoning, garlic, hot sauce, and broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes minimum. Add the tomatoes and sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile cook rice per package directions. Drain and set aside if sauce hasn't completed cooking.
Remove sauce from heat, add shrimp, stir, cover and poach shrimp 5 to 10 minutes or until pink and cooked through.
To serve, mound 1/2 to 3/4 cup of rice on each plate and surround with shrimp and sauce.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat115
Serving Size:11 oz. (300g)