Quinoa and Chicken Salad Recipe2013-06-02
- Yield : About 6 cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
Quinoa and Chicken Salad is an easy, gluten free alternative to macaroni salad. It has sliced olives, onion, bell peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat, but you can add or omit ingredients to your taste.
Serve Quinoa and Chicken Salad with BBQ, fried or broiled chicken and fish, steaks, and sandwiches.
Enjoy Quinoa and Chicken Salad warm or cold. Any type of quinoa can be used and the ingredients can be increased, decreased or changed to create a variety of colorful, delicious, and healthy salads with no preservatives or artificial ingredients.
You can omit the chicken for a vegetarian salad or substitute cooked shrimp, crab, or lobster for a seafood salad.
For a cold salad you can serve immediately, cook quinoa the day before and refrigerate.
- 1 cup (160 g) uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups (300 g) grilled or roasted chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 g) marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sliced olives (green, black, Greek, Mediterranean)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin including part of the greens
- 1/2 red, green or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red or sweet onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) course ground or Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon (1 ml) Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Red pepper flakes to taste, optional
Method of Preparation
Rinse quinoa about 1 minute in cold water and place in a medium pan (2 qt/l) with 2 cups of cold water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Rest 5 minutes and fluff using a fork.
In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, chicken, artichoke, olives, onions, pepper, parsley and basil.
In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, mustard salt and pepper. While whisking, drizzle olive oil or add 1 tablespoon at a time and whisk to form an emulsion. Oil should not begin to separate when you stop whisking. Adjust seasoning and add red pepper flakes if desired.
Pour vinaigrette over the salad and fold to combine the dressing and salad.
Serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Salad can be made a day in advanced.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat100
Serving Size:1 cup (190 g)