- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 15m
Pan-fried zucchini takes an American favorite and cuts calories by up to 60 percent. This is accomplished by reducing the amount of breading and pan-frying versus deep frying.
Americans love affair with zucchini began in the 1980’s with the introduction of deep fried zucchini as an appetizer. Most Americans will eat just about an deep fried food, so fried zucchini was virtually an overnight sensation. Decades later it is still a popular appetizer. Served with full-fat ranch dressing, a restaurant order of fried zucchini can exceed 1,000 calories. Not a great way to begin a meal.
This fast food version has 330 calories per 5 ounce serving without the dressing. The house ranch dressing adds 210 calories per packet.
- You can substitute one whole egg or one egg white for the meringue powder. Using a whole egg adds 105mg of cholesterol and <1g of saturated fat per serving.
- If you do not have Italian seasoning you can use Italian flavored breadcrumbs or flavor plain breadcrumbs with thyme, rosemary, dill, oregano or marjoram, dried basil, or any of your favorite spices.
Serve Pan-fried Zucchini plain or with one of the following dressings.
- 1 medium zucchini (about 8 oz., 250 g)
- 1/4 cup (22 g) dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. (15 ml) meringue powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil for frying
Method of Preparation
Cut ends off of the zucchini and slice 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (straight or on diagonal).
In a dish or bowl, combine breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning. In a small bowl, combine meringue power with water using a whisk or fork until frothy.
Dip zucchini slices in the egg wash and coat with breadcrumbs. It is normal for the crumbs to not complete coat the sides. Place breaded zucchini on a plate or tray.
In a 9 to 10 inch frying pan, heat oil to 350° to 375°F. Carefully place breaded zucchini in the hot oil. Cook about 2 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook other side about 2 minutes or until browned.
Transfer fried zucchini from the pan to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil. Serve warm.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat75
Serving Size:About 4.5 oz. (130 g)