One Pan Ground Meat Stroganoff2015-09-30
- Yield : About 6 cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
One Pan Ground Meat Stroganoff is a healthier alternative to boxed noodle and sauces mixes containing preservatives and artificial colors and flavors that are added to ground beef. Yes, boxed meals are convenient. You simply add ground beef, water, and milk. But, with a few simple substitutions, you can reduce prep time and still have a healthier meal providing 6 servings instead of 5.
Unlike boxed one pan meals or frozen meals, it is easy to make this recipe your own or make slight variations.
- 1 or 2 (4 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms, drained, instead of fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons chopped dry onion for fresh onion
- 93% lean ground turkey can be substituted for beef. Subtract 40 calories per serving. You can also use any ground meat for this recipe. Drain excess fat if you use less lean ground meats.
- When using parmesan cheese other than Parmigiano-Reggiano, you may have to increase the amount from 1/2 cup to 2/3 or 3/4 cup. Start with 1/2 cup and increase to taste.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) dried chop onions for fresh onion. Add in step 3.
- 6 oz. (170 g) sour cream for yogurt.
- 14.5 oz. canned reduced or low sodium beef broth.
- Whole wheat noodles or other dry pasta for white noodles.
- Cut calories and saturated fat by substituting 12 ounces of 93% lean ground turkey or chicken for 16 ounces of ground beef.
- If liquid is adsorbed before noodles are tender, stir in about 1/4 cup of water or broth.
Time Saving Tip
Mix together all dry seasoning ingredients except parmesan cheese and store in plastic bags for future use.
Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- 6 oz. (170 g) thin egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 (115 g) medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- 8 oz. (225 g) fresh mushrooms, cleaned, ends removed, and thickly sliced
- 1 lb. (450 g) 88% or leaner ground beef, turkey or other meat
- 8 oz. (227 g) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 g) dry red or white wine
- 2 cups (480 ml) reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) kosher salt (1 tsp table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 cup (40 g) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 oz. (170 g) non-fat natural or Greek yogurt
Method of Preparation
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat oil and melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms cooking about 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
Add ground meat stirring and breaking up into small pieces until browned.
Stir in tomato sauce, water, broth and wine. Stir in seasoning. Bring to a boil and stir in noodles. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until noodles are al dente.
Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese followed by the yogurt. Rest about 5 minutes and serve.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat155
Serving Size:About 1 cup (270g)