One-Pan Chinese-Style Shrimp & Vegetables2016-05-20
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
Chinese and other Asian foods can be very low calorie. A 10 ounce (270 g) serving of One-Pan Chinese-Style Shrimp & Vegetables has less than 300 calories and takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook.
This recipe using frozen Chinese-style stir fry vegetables. In the United States there are two varieties:
- Without additives and sauce
- With additive and sauce mixture
Like other prepared foods sold in the U.S., frozen stir-fry vegetables including sauce are high in sodium. A 4-oz. serving (frozen weight) of one brand has 430 mg of sodium. Eat two servings and you have 860 mg of sodium before adding any other ingredients. That is more than have the recommended amount of sodium for a reduced sodium diet (1,500 mg per day). This recipe provides about 265 mg of sodium per serving using reduced sodium soy sauce. Of course you can always add more salt if desired.
If you buy peeled and deveined shrimp with tails, remove the tails. Total prep time will depend on the ingredients you buy. Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts are available whole, sliced or slivered. You can use them sliced right out of the can or cut them into match stick slivers. Either way, drain the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts before adding them to your wok or skillet.
Adding tofu (bean curb) is optional. Omit it if you prefer or are allergic to soy. Omitting the tofu reduces protein from 30 to 23 grams per serving.
Stir frying goes fast, so have all ingredients ready before you start cooking.
You can combine the liquid ingredients in Step 4 before you start cooking. The cornstarch will settle, but you can give it a quick stir before adding it to your pan.
Nutrition information is for shrimp. Substituting chicken breast meat adds about 7 calories and 3 grams of protein. It also reduces cholesterol to 60 mg.
You can substitute white wine, rice wine, water, or broth for the sherry.
Other Chinese Recipes
- 1 lb (450 g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb (450 g) unseasoned frozen stir fry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 oz. (85 g) bamboo shoots, cut into slivers
- 1 bunch green onions tops (scallions) sliced thin or thick
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sugar (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2.5 - 5 ml) ginger root (grated or minced)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Chinese chili sauce (optional)
- 3 oz. (85 g) water chestnuts, sliced or slivered
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 6 oz. (170 g) firm tofu (bean curd), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2.5 - 5 ml) sesame oil
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat until it begins to shimmer (375°F) and stir fry frozen vegetables about 5 minutes stirring constantly.
Stir in bamboo shoots, onion tops, water chestnuts and tofu. Stir fry 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and stir fry 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are nearly cooked through.
Combine broth, corn starch, sugar, ginger, chili sauce, sherry and soy sauce. Add to wok and stir to coat shrimp and vegetables. Cook and stir until liquid comes to a boil. Cook and stir about 1 minute.
Season to taste with black pepper if desired. Serve with white rice or fried rice.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat50
Serving Size:About 10 oz. (290 g)