Caramel Apple Dessert Or Side-dish2015-10-20
- Servings : 3
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
Caramel Apple Dessert provides a bit of sweetness to any meal without the calories and saturated fat of apple pie and other high calorie desserts.
I originally came across this recipe while filming an episode of Fast Food OR for my YouTube Channel featuring a frozen meatloaf meal included caramel apples. But you got a lot more than apples and sugar with their dessert. The ingredients for the apples included:
- Apples (citric an ascorbic acid to retain color)
- Brown sugar
- Sweet cream powder (cream, nonfat milk, sodium caseinate)
- Vanilla flavor (water, propylene glycol, ethyl alcohol, natural and artificial flavors)
- Corn syrup
- Caramel flavor (propylene glycol, ethyl alcohol, natural flavors, artificial flavors, water, caramel color)
And that is just the apple dessert’s ingredients. The ingredients for the complete meatloaf meal contains dozens of additives found only in prepared foods.
What appeared to be a small serving of caramel apples turned out to be about one tablespoon (15 ml) full.
You do not need propylene glycol, ethyl alcohol, or artificial flavors to may this simple caramel apple recipe. All you need are pieces of real, fresh apple in a slightly sweet caramel sauce.
With meat, fish, or poultry in lieu of cranberry sauce
Topping for ice cream or frozen yogurt
- 1 (150 g) small apple (any variety), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 g) butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg (optional)
- Dash of all spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) corn starch
- 2 to 4 tablespoons (30 to 60 ml) cold water
Method of Preparation
In a small skillet, over medium heat, melt butter and stir in diced apple. Cook, stirring until apple is tender and begins to brown. Add sugar and spices and cook until sugar begins to caramelize, 1 to 2 minutes.
Dissolve corn starch in water, and add to apples. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Serve hot or cold.
This information is per serving.
Calories From Fat17
Serving Size:About 2 oz. (50 g)