30 Minute Fagioli e Pasta (Beans & Macaroni)2013-11-24
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
30 Minute Fagioli e Pasta (Beans & Macaroni) uses canned or cooked beans to reduce preparation and cooking time.
This southern Italian version of beans with macaroni is pasta with beans and sauce versus Italian restaurant bean soup of the same name. Like most Italian foods, there as many version of this recipe as there are cities and towns in Italy. You can make this recipe using canned beans in 30 minutes or less.
For Vegetarian Version
Substitute a second can of beans for the meat or omit the meat.
Meatless Fagioli e Pasta has about 315 calories and no saturated fat.
Replacing meat with a second can of beans has about 390 calories, 11g of fiber and zero saturated fat per serving.
Nutrition value assumes using half of the meat sauce. Using all of the sauce adds 100 calories, 2g saturate fat and 100mg of sodium.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 (80 g) small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lb. (225 g) 80% lean ground beef
- 8 oz. (226 g) canned no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry red or white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- Pinch ground anise if desired
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 oz. (425 g) canned low sodium navy or other white beans
- 8 oz. (225 g) elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt to cook pasta
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pasta cooking water
Method of Preparation
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and sauté onion about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add ground beef and sauté until browned. Add tomato sauce, parsley, wine and oregano. Season to taste with black pepper. Stir, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. .
Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil on high heat. Add a teaspoon of salt if desired and the pasta. Cook pasta per manufactures recommendation time until al dente Test for doneness after minimum cooking time..
Place drained beans in a large serving bowl and heat in microwave oven 4 to 5 minutes on medium-low power or until warm, or warm beans in a small pan over medium low heat.
Add pasta water to beans. Drain pasta and add to beans. Fold to combine. Add one half of the sauce.. Fold to thoroughly combine and add more sauce if desired. Serve immediately.
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat60
Serving Size:10 oz. (280 g)